Sunday, May 23, 2010

Talking Green:Let's start at the very beginning

Hi again,
I realize it is too late to start seeds indoors for this season but for some seeds it isn't too late to plant directly outdoors so I will start at the very beginning. I also realize some of this information may be something you already know but for some it may be new information.
Of course to grow seeds you need seeds, soil, tray(s), water and if you are starting them early- a window to put them beside or a greenhouse.
Seeds come in all sizes and as a rule of thumb for me is if there are no definite directions on the package as to how deep they go then I plant them about the depth of the seed themselves. But there are some seeds that need light to germinate and there are seeds that need to be in complete dark to germinate. I can try to come up with a list at some point which need what but right now I will stick to the basics. Most seeds do not need to be in the dark (as in covered with something to not let any light in) and most just need to be planted in the soil. Seeds I know of right away that need light to germinate are snap dragons and alyssum and these you do not cover with anything and just spread them on top of the soil. Anyways some seeds do require some extra attention to grow.
Now on to the soil. Not all soil is created equal. I have learned that the best soil to use is not soil at all. Some people call it a soiless mixture but often it is called potting soil in the store I think. I am trying to think about everything in the mix but I might miss one but the main stuff in the mix is peat, perlite (the little white things that look like rocks) vermicilite, and sometimes a wetting agent depending on the type of mix you buy. Different brands will be different. To tell you the truth I always thought perlite and vermicilite did the same thing and I only recently learned otherwise. Perlite is added to improve drainage in the soil which is sometimes very important for certain plants where vermicilite is added to absorb moisture and retain moisture. I personally buy vermicilite to add extra to the soil mix and that is just something I do and to me it seems to help. As for the wetting agent, it is something that some soil mixes have added to help the mix absorb water. If you have tried different potting soils you may have noticed that some seem to repell water almost where others are not so bad. This is because of the wetting agent which apparently helps the water to get absorbed easier. The reason the water doesn't soak in good is the peat moss in the mix. Even without a wetting agent it is still possible to make the soil wet but it just a little more difficult but not incredibly hard. But sometimes paying a little extra for a better soil can really make a difference in how well the plants grow.
Last but not least-the water and sunlight. When you first plant the seeds it is important to use a spray bottle to water the seeds so you do not wash away the seeds. Once they have sprouted and grown a little bit then it is safe to move to a watering can if you like. Make sure to keep the soil moist but not wet because you can over water and it causes seeds to rot or go mouldy. To be honest I often worry the seeds will not have enough water and I am tempted to add more water thinking I am doing something good but I have to restrain myself because too much will be bad. As for sunlight, it is important to have them by a window or greenhouse if you are starting them indoors. Also as the seeds sprout, make sure to keep an eye on them if they seem to lean towards the window or not. I like to turn the trays when this happens if I start them in a window so they don't get too lopsided. Idealy it would be good to have a window that lets in enough light that they don't reach but it isn't always possible. I know I have only briefly touched on stuff in this post but I hope to get into more detail in the posts to follow about specific stuff. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment