Saturday, January 16, 2010

Haiti Earthquake

hi again.
I just looked at a slideshow of photos of Haiti that was in the Macleans email I recieve. First of all I cried looking at the photos. Second, as I was sitting here in my home eating a snack looking at these photos I really was struck so hard by the contrast of my life and the people's lives in Haiti. For us, we have a comfortable life and clean water and we can look at as much or as little of the devistation as we want to and when we just can't handle any more we can look away. For the people in Haiti, they have litterally nothing left and they are wounded and dying and this mess is their world and they can never escape it when it gets to be too much. These photos are just a tiny glimpse into what these real people are dealing with and the pain they are feeling and the devastation they see every single moment. They are not focused on getting their picture taken because they are too busy just trying to survive and trying to get through the loss of loved ones and it really struck me. The photographers are capturing people in despair and people who are in the midst of getting rescued and people who didn't make it. But what also struck me with one photo, where a photographer was caught to the side taking a picture also, was how in order to get these photos photographers are doing nothing but take photos of people in their worst moments and it makes me wonder how one could just stand there taking photos when they could be helping these people? I feel that the photographers went too far in some ways showing the dead bodies of people who did not make it but that is my opinion. Do we really need to see that? Are we so fascinated with these types of photos and the emotions they evoke that photographers feel the need to take them? I suppose fascinated is not the right word because we surely feel sadness and horror when seeing the devastation but I am unsure what other word to use.Or is it that we need to experience even a small glimpse of what these people are going through to understand a tiny bit of life in Haiti? I don't know. I wish that I could do more for these people. I can't imagine life like that and we are very privilaged to live here in Canada. Please do all you can to help these people during this horrible disaster. That is all. Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment